We owe a lot to Bali, here’s one small way you can help our brothers and sisters to the north.
With Covid wiping out tourism, the lifeblood of Bali has all but dried up. The vast majority of businesses have closed, reaping havoc on Balinese communities and families. There is an estimated 145,000 Balinese trying to survive with no income, and the situation is becoming dire.
Distraught at the situation in his second home, Dean Keddell, Executive Chef and Owner of two of Bali’s most beloved restaurants (Ginger Moon Canteen and Jackson Lily’s) begun working on a cookbook to raise some money for these desperate families, villages and charities.
At over 400 pages, Our Bali (Bali Kita) Your Bali (Bali Kamu), is a quintessential list of Balinese recipes sourced from his staff, their families, local warungs, and of course, his restaurants.
Learn how to make your own bumbu (the base of many Indonesian recipes), a variety of sambals (side dishes), your own dumpling wrappers with beautiful fillings and traditional satays. If you've ever visited Ginger Moon or Jackson Lily's, you know it’s gonna be good.
The Bali Needs Our Help project is asking people to pre-order books via a Chuffed crowd funder with more than $257,000 raised to date. Dean wants everyone in Australia who has ever visited Bali to support the cause by purchasing a book. The project aims to sell 5,000 books and raise $375,000 with all profits going directly to local charities that have been badly hit including:
- Bali Children's Foundation - helping thousands of local children to complete school and to find employment.
- Scholars of Sustenance - combatting the effects of COVID-19 by providing nutrition to those in need.
- Friends of the National Parks Foundation - working to protect wildlife and their habitats, at the same time supporting local communities.
- East Bali Poverty Project - helping people to help themselves
- Bali Wise by R.O.L.E Foundation - empowering marginalized women through skills education, as a means to develop sustainable communities.
As surfers, we owe a lot to Bali, surely it isn't too much to ask to help them out in a time of need. Plus, you'll be re-introducing the wonderful aromas and flavours of Indonesian food to your kitchen with some of the best recipes available! Get on it!